Welcome to Bliss & That…  I’m Kasey, the owner and principal designer for Bliss Wedding & Event Design.  We are a wedding planning and event design firm in Columbus, Ohio.  I hope you’ll take some time and read through the posts.   Bliss & That is full of great information that we’re excited to share.  We love designing, everything weddings and all of the fun things in between.  Blogs are conversations, we love to hear what you have to say, so don't be shy!...  Please leave us a comment (or two) and we’ll chat!  Thanks so much for visiting!

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Drink Up - The Black Velvet


Black Velvet Cocktail is one of the most unique cocktails I've ever seen. It's very simple and easy to make. You'll need - Guinness Stout and champagne, and a champagne flute.

The classic recipe for a Black Velvet is to half fill the glass with Guinness or another stout beer, and tilt the glass to the side to add the champagne. You'll want to pour the champagne in gently, trying to create as little foaming as possible. If the 50/50 blend is a more beer than you'd like, feel free to do more of a 40/60 split with the Guinness and champagne. Also, depending on who you ask, it's also okay to pour the champagne first then add the stout.

I was surprised when I learned of this drink that it has such a history. The Black Velvet is nearly 150 years old. It was ‘invented’ at the Brook's Club, London in 1861 and was served as the nation mourned the death of Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's Prince Consort.

Interesting stuff! I personall have not tried this drink but would love to hear if you have.

Bottoms up!

3 comments:

Juliet Douglas said...

I HAVE to try that! I love Guinness!

Anonymous said...

If you need a deejay let me know...

Anonymous said...

The black velvet is my drinnk of choice at Fado! Although they make it with hard cider - but I can see how champagne would be perfect too! It's the best blend of smooth and sparkling sweet. Yum!

blog design by: www.brianmedia.net